Saturday, February 7, 2009

Tarquin!


Today Birgit and I visited Newhope Border Collies in Hagersville, Ontario. Alice, the breeder, took us out with her five Border Collies. Her big boy Tarquin is for sale, and we wanted to meet him. He's wonderful! About 4 1/2 years old and so big, strong, and calm. And beautiful! And friendly!

So now the decision situation changes. Should I buy Tarq -- already trained, disposition known, but already almost five years old? The average lifespan for a Border Collie is 12 years. If I buy Tarq, he needs to be immediately neutered as well. Or should I buy a puppy from the very nice, very professional breeder in Wisconsin whose dogs share some of Buddy's bloodline? Her puppies were born on Wednesday this week. But then I would be faced with all the training and antics that go along with puppyhood, and we don't know (1) how Max would react to a pup, and (2) what that pup's ultimate disposition would be. Genetics are important, but don't predict everything, right? But with a pup, I would be able to have more control over how the pup is socialized, and could enjoy the upside of puppy antics again.

Amazing how complicated this process has become. As Birgit says, I'll "sleep it over."

No comments:

Post a Comment