Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A New Pack


So last week, I packed up the Subaru Outback with lots of granola bars and Buddy's big dog crate, and headed off for Beloit, Wisconsin. Made it in 12 hours without any major problems, other than taking a wrong turn south of Chicago and driving through the city instead of around it as planned. The next day, Jackie and her daughter picked me up in their van along with Chip and his dad, Kohbayn, and we went directly to the vet to get Chip's health certificate. Then they gave me a wonderful tour of the farm -- Border Collies, sheep, goats, horses, ducks, rabbits... you name it!

Chip and I headed out for DeWitt, Michigan the next day. The pup howled like a siren in the crate for at least 30 minutes. I drove with one hand on the wheel and the other hand over one ear. We spent the night in DeWitt and made it to Toronto the next day. At the border, the Canadian officials didn't want to see any of his health info -- just the sales receipt for Chip so they could calculate how much tax I would have to pay.

So far, Chip and Max are getting along beautifully! Chip adores his new big brother, and Max is being very patient. Sometimes I think Chip sees me and Birgit as giant chew toys, but I'm told this phase will pass. Tomorrow, Chip and I go to our first puppy class at Dog Sports Centre. He is already a bruising 18 pounds @ 11 weeks old! But he is everything we had hoped for -- smart, attentive, fearless, curious, and clearly people-oriented.

The photo was taken by Birgit today as Chip surveyed his new back yard from our deck.

No comments:

Post a Comment